John Tumeh, MD
Please take a moment and let us know how your experience was.REVIEW US
Meet John Tumeh, MD
Education & Training
Dr. John Tumeh is a Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology with board certification in Adult Psychiatry. He earned his Bachelor of Arts from the College of William and Mary, followed by earning his Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) from the University of Virginia School of Medicine. He subsequently completed residency in General Adult Psychiatry at University of Pittsburgh's Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic.
Dr. Tumeh has vast experience treating the full spectrum of psychiatric disorders including but not limited to Mood (e.g. Depression, Bipolar Disorder), Anxiety, Personality Disorders, Addiction, Psychotic Disorders, Personality Disorders, Eating disorders, Geriatric Psychiatry, Dementia and more.
Psychotherapy, the "talk therapy" used in psychiatry, is an integral part of his practice. Dr. Tumeh has extensive experience in various forms of psychotherapy including Psychodynamic, Cognitive Behavioral, Interpersonal, and Family therapies in addition to Motivational Interviewing and Couples therapy.
Philosophy of Healing
Healing of the psyche, the Greek word for "soul" or "spirit" requires that one attend to his/her spiritual, moral, psychological, biological and social/environmental states. These domains are interconnected and highly influence one another. A patient in need of healing will often return to and address his/her foundational and guiding principles and truths to "reset" his direction. Next, the patient will benefit from psychological work with a professional to adequately address and correct any faulty thinking patterns that may be negatively impacting his/her wellbeing. When necessary, medications are used to augment this work by correcting for biological problems that may be contributing to pathology. Finally, regular exercise when possible is very helpful for maintaining a healthy psyche.
Dr. Tumeh meets people in whatever psychological state they are in. He listens to their problems and asks questions to further delve into their struggles and to arrive at root issues and sources of conflict. Such issues include past and current experiences (e.g. upbringing, family dynamics, trauma, biological underpinnings, etc.), cognitive distortions (e.g. unhelpful patterns of thinking) among others. He works with patients to explore ways of addressing and overcoming sources of conflict and tension and assists them in developing more effective ways of coping. When necessary and helpful, he augments his work with the use of psychiatric medications.
- Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, UPMCResidency & Research, General Psychiatry2009 - 2013
- University of Virginia School of MedicineMedical , Doctor of Medicine2005 - 2009
- The College of William and MaryBachelor of Arts, Economics1999 - 2003
- Consulting StaffPiedmont Atlanta Hospital2016 - 2021
- OwnerFoundation Psychiatry2015 - Present
- Consulting PartnerSamaritan Counseling Center of Atlanta2016 - Present
- VolunteerMercy Care of Atlanta, Georgia2015 - 2016
- Member ManagerTumeh Psychiatric Services, PLLC2014 - 2015
- Director of Behavioral HealthFOCUS Pittsburgh Free Health Center (FPFHC)2012 - 2014
- Provisional Associate Staff in the Department of MedicineUniontown Hospital in Partnership With UPMC2013 - 2014
- Research Assistant at the Center for Oncology InformaticsWinship Cancer Institute at Emory University2004 - 2010
- TeacherAlif Institute2004 - 2004
- MemberProfessional Advisory Board: Skyland Trail
- DirectorPsychosocial Ministry Team: FOCUS Pittsburgh Free Health Center
- MemberBoard of Directors: Mental Health America of Allegheny County
- MemberAdvisory Council of the Center for Workplace Mental Health: American Psychiatric Foundation
- Elected MemberParish Council: St.George Orthodox Church
- OrganizerResidents Case Conferences: Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, UPMC
- Class Representative, PGY-1Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, UPMC
- MemberAmerican Psychiatric Association
- MemberAmerican Medical Association
- MemberCenter for Workplace Mental Health
- MemberAmerica Psychiatric Association Foundation
- Student RepresentativeUVA Health Sciences Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Co-FounderMedical Economics and Policy Lecture Series
- Project InitiatorShipment of Medical/Surgical Supplies to Iraq
- Magna Cum Laude GraduateThe College of William and Mary2003
- MemberNational Society of Collegiate Scholars
- MemberScholars, Golden Key National Honor Society
- MemberOmicron Delta Epsilon: International Honor Society in Economics
Thank you for subscribing!
You will receive important news and updates from our practice directly to your inbox.